Monday, November 26, 2007

BBQ Rants: Thanksgiving House Fire

Here’s a quick cautionary tale for those that are interested in smoking their ham or turkey for Christmas. There may be an urge to take shortcuts in the winter months, such as moving the smoker closer to the house or to monitor things less closely due to the cold. It is imperative that the same precautions that you would take in the summer are taken in the winter.

Courtesy of KSAT Television

SAN ANTONIO -- Fire officials at the scene of a house fire on the city's East Side on Friday said that a barbecue pit started a fire that heavily damaged a home.

When firefighters arrived in the 300 block of Glen Oak at 5 p.m., flames were shooting from the roof of the home.

Fire officials said the barbecue pit, which was used for cooking on Thanksgiving Day, was leaned against the home with hot coals still in the pit.

It's believed the pit ignited the garage and the fire then spread throughout the home.

A 72-year-old man who was alone at the time of the blaze escaped uninjured.

post signature