Monday, December 22, 2008

Review: Bone Suckin' Sauce -Thicker-

Bone Suckin’ Sauce -Thicker Style-

Manufacturer Ford’s Gourmet Foods

**** (4.5 out of 5)
Viscosity *** (3.5 out of 5) This is a measure of thickness, not quality
Aroma *** (3.5 out of 5)
Appearance **** (4 out of 5)
Packaging *** (3 out of 5)

This sauce is about as good as it gets. Keeping it from the near mythical ‘5 out of 5’ for quality is that aroma is a bit subdued and the sauce is a tad too mild to pair perfectly with brisket (for my tastes). Those are two mighty small and picky complaints. Bone Suckin’ Sauce is better than 90% of the sauces out there and it serves it’s niche as well as any of the other 10%.

The packaging is so simple it’s almost in your face. White label, black lettering. Counter programming against the busy, cutesy, folksy trend; Bone Suckin’ Sauce lets the name sell the product. With the following that they have, that’s not a bad choice. They have achieved market separation on the shelves by going minimalistic. Not a strategy I would advise, but it works for them.

The sauce comes in a mason jar, which helps pouring. The thickness of the sauce helps to avoid accidental overpouring. There are 16oz of sauce in the jar and that is clearly not enough. Don’t get me wrong, the pricing is reasonable. You’re just going to want more as soon as you are out.

I try to get a good sampling of the aroma before applying the sauce to the meat as well as when it is cooked on. The smokey aroma of the brisket overwhelmed the sauce after application, but prior to that it was pleasant, fruity and somewhat mild.

Visible specks of minced onion and pepper flakes shine through the light red and fairly translucent liquid. Once the sauce makes it into your mouth, the onions prove a nice counterpoint to the smooth uniformity of the rest of the sauce. A tiny crunch here or there that reminds you (as if you need it) that you are enjoying a well crafted product.

The all natural ingredients shine through. The lack of high fructose corn syrup is appreciated immediately as the contrast between the artificial sweetness of many commercial sauces and the sweetness here from the honey, molasses and apple cider vinegar displays why manufacturers should make the extra effort. The clean, simple sweetness in Bone Suckin’ Sauce avoids that cloying, filmy taste and feeling that is near ubiquitous in BBQ sauces found in groceries.

I would heartily recommend this sauce for chicken, pork ribs or pulled pork. You may want to consider the strength of flavor (especially if you use harsher wood for smoking, such as mesquite) of beef ribs or brisket before using this variety of Bone Suckin’ Sauce.

I look forward to trying their other sauces as soon as I can find them.

General Notes:
I do the majority of the sauce analysis on this site. I have often been assisted by Will Breakstone of Willie B’s Award Winning BBQ (pitmaster, competitor and caterer). The foods used with the sauces are usually brisket, pulled pork and chicken. On occasion, other foods will be used if recommended by the manufacturer (ex. burgers, fries, meatloaf, etc.).

Most of the food used for the reviews is cooked on a Weber Smoky Mountain or a Lang 84. The basic BBQ accouterments (such as tool sets, chimney starters, etc.) are by Weber. Knives are by Mercer Cutlery. Fuel is either a cherry/oak mix or whatever charcoal I’m in the mood for.


post signature